Weekend Reading List: What Our Response to Childish Gambino’s ‘This is America’ Says About Fandom as Criticism
Royal bodies, the ‘incel’ mindset and those Childish Gambino hot-takes: what to read this weekend
- ‘Criticism has devolved into curation of crowdsourced comments; that, or creative misreading as a source of furious hot takes’. Rowland Manthorpe on the response to Childish Gambino’s This Is America.
- Crystal Bennes on what the resurrection of demolished London estate Robin Hood Gardens at the Venice Architecture Biennale says about our housing crisis.
- Don’t miss Gilda Williams on everybody’s favourite underpaid, over-educated, raven-haired art critic Rhonda Lieberman.
- It’s Royal Wedding time – which means it’s also time to revisit Hilary Mantel on how we have seen women of the UK monarchy over history: ‘we don’t cut off the heads of royal ladies these days, but we do sacrifice them.’
- And, Jia Tolentino on the ‘incel’ mind: ‘Incels aren’t really looking for sex; they’re looking for absolute male supremacy.’